My watch started at midnight to 3am – and we were still on the same level of degree. I could just roll out of the bunk (not literally, as I would have hit the floor and the wall) – I got a system where I could hold onto the bottom of the cave locker and just let the bottom half of my body slide out. My feet eventually hit the wall. Luckily, I only had my smock and my life jacket to put on. We got up on deck, to a very flappy main sail. A wooden baton that I didn’t even know the sail had, had come out. This was slowing us down a little. The stars were out in force though, so at least I had a good view. Phil had fallen out of a top bunk during the night – luckily he had not done too much damage. I don’t want to do that!!

After getting another shove into my bunk at 3am, the next shift started at 6am. It had got a little rough whilst I was asleep, so I didn’t feel that good. Apparently there are four things that make you feel sick – rough weather, lack of sleep, spicy food and other people being sick, any one or a combination of any will do it. I think it is mainly the lack of sleep doing it for me – I am used to getting a good eight hours! Several others were in the same boat, so to speak, and some didn’t make it up for the watch. And we were still heeling at the same degree. This is getting boring!!

For the 2pm to 6pm shift it was still heeling. Will I ever get used to getting around at that angle? I don’t think so. I was chatting to one very capable crew member, who said that if this had happened on the Level One training, he would have used his “Get out of jail free card” and pulled out. Too late now! Several were still not feeling their best, but we managed to get the spinnaker up. It didn’t go up properly, so it came straight down again. Then it had to be taken down below and “woolled”. Oh how I remember it well!

It was my turn for dinner tonight, so I had to be up at 8pm to start it. Only two hours sleep then. Getting better and better. We did pasta and meatballs – and there was loads as several people (including myself) declined. The off watch had dinner first, but the on watch didn’t finish at 9pm as the sails had to be changed as the weather had declined further. It was 11pm before they came down – and I had been in the hot galley all that time feeling icky. As I was clearing up nearing midnight, and just taken the last plate out of the washing up sink, I threw up into the washing up water. Oh my god – I hope nobody saw that. Health and safety and all that – not allowed to spit after cleaning teeth into the galley sink so not sure how that might have been taken. I anti-bac’d and cleaned up, so hopefully nobody is any the wiser. Good job I didn’t partake in proper food! Tried climbing up the wall to get into my bunk, but my legs just aren’t long enough. Just managed to get in on my own, so either I am getting better or the boat has flattened a little. Too tired to decide which!