We have now finished our 60 hours motoring, and are now under sail.  But
with not as much wind as anticipated.  No change of luck there then.  We
still have about 100 miles to go to get out of the Doldrums Corridor, and
then a couple of degrees more and we are at the equator.  The wind we have
is coming directly at us, so we are sailing at a lovely acute angle.  Makes
even the most menial tasks extremely hard for a non-agile and non-nimble
person such as me.  No one else seems to be having half as much trouble.
Had  discussion with Marc today about sailing.  Told him I had never liked
it and probably never will.  He was somewhat shocked! It’s all about the
challenge – one I hope I will be able to complete, but it will be hard.  If
someone landed a helicopter on the deck (they wouldn’t – it isn’t big
enough) I would take the first seat out.

Yesterday we had another tropical squall, and this time I decided it was
time to take a shower.  I got down to my underwear (they were due the
weekly change) got my little hotel shower gel and shampoo and went up on
deck.  I lathered up quite nicely, then it turned into a spit instead of a
rain.  Had to sit up there ages to get the suds out of hair and under my
arms.  Then I realised that I hadn’t got my towel out, or my clean
underwear.  Therein lies a problem – my locker is not above my bunk, it is
above the bunk opposite.  Wendy went down to get my towel, but said Jim was asleep in the bunk so she couldn’t get it.  The shampoo started to get in my eyes and I couldn’t see – what a state to get in.  I ended up using a little face flannel to dry myself after waiting ages to get most of the shampoo out.  Jim looked as if he was almost awake, so I got another ziplock bag of underwear.  Problem solved.

I was on “mother” duty in place of Kat yesterday, as she still can’t use
her hands to their full potential.  She swapped with mine in a few days
time when she should be OK.  The day was OK, but at breakfast this morning
I almost succumbed to being sick.  I had to make a quick dive into my bunk
fully dressed.  If I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep it might go
away.  It did.  Kat saw me jump in and said I needed to sleep on the high
side.  Not saying what came into my mind, but suffice to say I ignored her.
She didn’t seem to notice!

The waves were certainly getting rougher – although with the wind on the
nose it makes the boat a bit rockier.  Must have been that.  When it was
due for my next shift at midday I got my life jacket and shot upstairs, and
luckily I have had no recurrence.

We had the bowline competition at the midday meeting – and as per my
prediction I came last.  13.1 seconds as opposed to 2.7 seconds for the
winner.  Emily and Val both got 2.7 seconds – although Emily had shown Val
how to do a fast way and was not best pleased that the apprentice had
equalled the master.  They both got chocolate so that was OK – and as I was
sitting next to Emily I got a bite.

One nasty thing about this boat is the horrible smell that comes up the
plug holes from both the galley sink and the toilet sinks.  The water goes
into a grey tank, that has to be pumped out into the sea a few times a day.
It doesn’t take long for water to be in there before it omits the most vile
smell ever.  Not good when you are feeling a bit iffy in the first place.
Cleaning your teeth in seawater is bad enough, but hanging your head over a
sink that exudes putrid air is just about enough to finish you off.  Yuk!
Another thing that I take for granted at home.