Yesterday we sailed around the bottom of Tasmania.  It was a sunny day –
although still cold – and the scenery along the coast was stunning.  We
spotted land at around 6am going off shift.  By the time we came back on at
midday the coast was almost touchable.  David managed to get reception on
his phone, so was able to speak to his daughter, who sent a picture of the
new grand daughter to his phone.  Not a dry eye on the boat.
As we passed the channel that would have taken us into Hobart, the coastguard came on the radio to say that a canoe had overturned in a bay and could all boats in the area assist.  “That’s where I live” says David.  We think his family are now on the sabotage trail to get David into shore quickly!
Emily was on mother duty, and decided that as we were close to Tasmania it
would be known as Tassie Thursday. She prepared some party food (crisps and cheesy biscuits in bowls – not a canape in sight!) to celebrate “Big D” becoming a grandpa.  Would have gone down better with a glass of champagne!

It was an absolutely beautiful sail around the mountainous coast, and we
had dolphins escorting us most of the way.  Grey ones and huge black ones
swam and dived under the boat for most of the afternoon.  We were going
along nicely, and then the wind just dropped.  Then it picked up.  Then it
dropped again.  Wendo announced that she was going to put all the sails
into a hat and pick one out.  I think she is somewhat disappointed that we
are not leading the fleet into her home port.  We all feel for her, and
know how frustrated she is feeling when the wind just doesn’t go our way.
Probably means the crew are not up to scratch either – we are a bit of a
mish mash bunch.  But on the whole a well meaning lot that does their best.

As we rounded the bottom of Tasmania, I commented that we were now heading north and on the way home.  Then I remembered we are coming back to Hobart on Boxing Day.  Bugger!!

We now have a contribution for this legs “Broken Hank” award.  One of the
containers of yoghurt that we make each day didn’t set, so it was taken out
to be poured over the side.  Amanda went to the high side rather than the
low side, turned round to face backwards and started to unscrew the lid.
Michael and Craig were at the helm, Michael could see what was about to
happen and did a Vicar of Dibley “No, no, no. no, no, yes”.
The yoghurt, instead of staying over the side, flew back into the boat on the wind, and splattered them both at the helm.  They were delighted!  Marc asked if they wanted granola with that.  We did think they looked a bit like Wendo after she has been sikaflexing – daubs of white over all of their clothing.

Clearing the bilges of water is one of the daily jobs that has to be done.
This involves taking the floorboards up, taking anything out that is stored
below, and then getting any water out that is in there.  There is an
automatic bilge pump in some of the compartments, but most have to be done
by hand.  We had a small pump brought out to us in Capetown to help with
the job – there can be up to a foot of water in some of them.  The usual
way is with a scoop made out of the bottom of a coca cola bottle and
sponge.  All mod cons!.  With the new bilge pump, a hose goes up the
companionway and someone holds it over the edge of the boat and the water
(dirty and smelly) goes away.
It was my turn to hold the hose this morning.  It was rather rough, very
wet on deck, very windy and very cold.  I had the pipe, but when the water
came out it was a bit like the yoghurt incident at times, and I had a bilge
water facial every now and then.  Wonder if it has the same elements as the
Dead Sea minerals?  Will see how soft my skin feels tomorrow!.

Just had an email from Paul to say that he has arrived in Sydney, the flat
is lovely and he was then wandering down to the marina.  Comparatively, I
am sitting on a wooden bench, typing with the keyboard flying up and down
with the waves having got drenched on shift this morning and am now thawing
out.  Hmm.  Only a couple more days………

– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Bridget only has basic email facilities on the boat. Editing and the choice of images on this blog is entirely by Paul Keevil!
Don’t miss another of Bridget’s blogs – click on follow and you will get an email when her next post is online.